Self-care junkies, lovers of holistic practices, or those who simply want to learn more about them - we kindly ask you to gather 'round! We're talking all about essential oils from their origins, to their individual benefits, to the role that they play in terms of helping you live a healthier, well-balanced lifestyle, and more. By the end of this read, we hope you'll have a better understanding of their various benefits and uses in relation to your mind, body, and overall well being - now, let's get started!
What Are Essential Oils?Essential oils are natural, highly concentrated compounds derived from plants. They're produced by extracting and distilling botanical essences from leaves, flowers, roots, or stems.
What Are Their Benefits?
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years for aromatherapy - a natural alternative to medicine. They have pure antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial in treating both physical and psychological illnesses. Certain oils can aid in combating skin and respiratory conditions, while others can be used for more therapeutic purposes like reducing stress levels or helping induce sleep. Once diluted, they are typically inhaled or applied topically.
Are They Safe?
Despite their natural properties, essential oils are not safe for consumption and may even cause damage to your skin because of their high levels of concentration. As a result, they should only be used externally. In order to fully grasp each oil's potential, it is strongly encouraged that you take the time to research their individual benefits and potential harms prior to use. There are multiple informative, beginner guides written by holistic, aromatherapy experts and practitioners to help you through it.
To get you started on your quest, here are five basic essential oil favourites aimed to combat various conditions, both physical and psychological:
- Lavender Oil: used for its calming properties that is beneficial in healing wounds, treating anxiety, and inducing sleep.
- Tea Tree Oil: used for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that can help combat various skin conditions (ie: acne and eczema) whilst boosting wound healing and fungal infections.
- Eucalyptus Oil: used for its disinfectant properties in relieving respiratory issues such as asthma, bronchitis, congestion, and other chest-related illnesses.
- Peppermint Oil: used for its cooling properties to help relieve physical illnesses and conditions such as nausea, headaches, and muscle pain.
- Lemon Oil: used for its revitalizing properties that can aid in mood enhancement and in combatting fatigue; alternatively, it can also be used to polish and clean a variety of surfaces around the home.
Because the essential oils mentioned above are merely a shortlist, we advise you to continue researching about the various types to find out which ones work best for you and your individual conditions or illnesses. Soon enough, you'll find the right oils and blends to easily incorporate into your self-care routine and overall lifestyle and once you do, they'll become your best friend; your go-to remedy for pretty much everything!